....what the HECK are you saying, Romeo?
I've been spending a lot of time the past few weeks at a local high school where I'm student teaching this quarter. I have to say that when I was assigned 9th grade I was a little nervous. My degree will be for students in grades 4th - 9th so I was hoping for more on the younger side. Alas, I was given a Freshman Language Arts class much to my dismay.
I have to say though, that I love it. The kids aren't nearly as bad as I thought they would be (yet) and I love my mentor teacher. She is a great teacher and such a role model.
Currently, we are covering Shakespeare's Romeo and Juliet. Of course, the ONE Shakespeare play we didn't cover in my high school days is the one that I have to teach. I feel so awful trying to help the kids answer questions because half the time I honestly don't have a clue either. Greattttt. To make things worse, not only do I have no idea what's going on because I don't know the story's details, it's written in that Godawful Shakespearean English. Someone save me.
All of my time is currently consumed with designing a lesson to present next Tuesday when I'm observed by my University supervisor, so I apologize for the lack of blogging. My mind is currently dedicated to the two star-crossed lovers and their tragic tale.
I hope you're all having a great week so far and wish me luck next week! I'm gonna need it :)
i taught Twelfth Night to juniors and seniors when I student taught.... there are lots of lesson plans online that you can google and sparknotes is always a life saver!! Good luck girl, I'm sure you'll be awesome!
ReplyDeleteGood luck! I love Romeo and Juliet although it's certainly not one of Shakespeare's best works! Could you imagine teaching King Lear? O my goodness that would be 10x worse haha!
ReplyDeleteUghh! I have little patience for Shakespeare. No Fear Shakespeare was my best friend when I took a Shakespeare class spring quarter. I'd first read the play in its original form and then read over the No Fear version to make sure I had comprehended it all (Generally, I had not).
ReplyDeleteYou can do it!!!!
I loved your facebook status about this! Too funny. :) I cannot even imagine teaching shakespeare- you rock girl, you can do it!!
ReplyDelete