Over the weekend I came to the realization that you really cannot please everyone. You have to do what you think is right and what you want to do and if others don't like it, that's fine. If you go after something and it doesn't want you back, so be it. You should never regret the way you feel or the things you want in life and never listen to those who put you down.
To keep things short and sweet I learned this in my personal life a whole lot this weekend. However, I also learned this from watching The Help. I finished the book a few weeks ago and got a whole lot out of it, but for some reason seeing it on the big screen sealed the deal.
I admire the character Skeeter so much. In a weird way, I see a lot of myself in her. All of her friends are in serious relationships and she's just trying to figure out who she is in the first place. She's in a city she's not so sure she belongs in. While my mom isn't quite as bad as Charlotte Phelan, I sure get pressure about relationships with certain guys in my life. She speaks what's on her mind.
I relate to her so much that reading the book and seeing the movie really set into stone for me that I need to do what makes me happy in life, much like she did. I believe that if you are happy, eventually everything else will fall into place. I don't need to worry about what other people think I should do with my life. I don't need to please other people. One of the best moments of the movie, in my opinion, is when she was having a flashback of a conversation with her former maid Constantine. Constantine told her something along these lines: "Every day you wake up you have to ask yourself, am I going to believe what those people say about me?".
It's not worth worrying what people say about you. Don't let someone's thoughts about you define your thoughts about yourself. After all, like Aibileen says "you is kind, you is smart, you is important".
![]() |
| Via |

Oh my GOSH- LOVE LOVE LOVE this post!!! This is super inspiring Mandy!
ReplyDeletei really needed to read this tonight! thank you!!
ReplyDeleteAH! I'm so glad you liked the movie! I read the book and LOVED it, and the movie is on my too see soon list! :P What an inspiring post to read- you go girl! :)
ReplyDeleteAw I loved that movie! Very long but really great!
ReplyDelete