I've been doing a lot of thinking today on what I can do to improve myself. I'm always looking for ways to make myself happier, healthier, etc. I think I need to start identifying problems and tackling them so that I can make myself better. So, I present to you my categories of self improvement. I'll talk about each one eventually (one post at a time).
Getting over grudges
Living a healthy lifestyle
Stress management and "me" time
Taking control of my finances (aka learn to stop being a shopping addict)
Getting over grudges:
So lately I've been thinking a lot about how other people perceive me. It all started when, on my birthday, my roomie made me this hilarious card. The first page says "a few of your favorite people stopped by to wish you a happy birthday" and then goes on to have pictures of people I'm not so fond of and plays on the reasons that I don't like them. All of these people are either guys that I've had flings with or girls that we don't like for one reason or another. Usually, these girls have been the other woman in my friend's relationships or have been rude towards me, etc. This was all in good fun (as weird as it sounds, guess you have to know our sense of humor), however when I showed it to my friend he said :
"You really need to learn to let things go and get over it"
Ouch.
Okay, I'll admit. I have a slight problem with holding grudges. I'm a girl. This happens. Yet, I don't go around disliking people for no reason. They have to do something to me for me to dislike them. I just have a problem forgiving people after they've hurt me. Also, when I know that someone has said something about me I'm not going to be a fan of them. This being said, however, I do need to get over things.
This is super hard for me. I'm usually fine until someone brings the situation up or I see the person out. I need to learn to pretend like they don't effect me - and maybe eventually they wouldn't. I just can't stand the fact that some people may see me as hateful or spiteful because I hold on to grudges. Seriously how awful does that make someone look?! Holding on to things won't make me any happier. In fact, it will cause me much more grief than those individuals are worth. I just think that sometime's I'm too proud to let my feelings be hurt without defending myself. Also, if I don't like someone, I don't want any of my friends to like them either and I'll remind them all the time, usually while intoxicated ;) , why I don't like that person. I need to learn to let go and live life. By clearing all of these individuals (and my disapproval of them) out of my life I will wind up happier and enjoy going out without worrying about seeing them. I don't need to be friends with these people, I just need to learn to ignore them. I just have no idea how to start doing this. But admitting the problem is the first step, right?
Definitely the first step-- I think you're on the right track :)
ReplyDeleteSo timely for me. I am really struggling with letting a situation go..thank you for this post! And I agree with Jenna- you're on the right track- you go girl! :)
ReplyDeleteIt is so hard not to hold grudges :/ but I like that you're outlining all of your goals! Amazing first step!!
ReplyDelete