So my momma decided to drag me to a line dancing class at our Healthplex to switch things up a bit. She went a few weeks ago and loved it, so I decided it wouldn't hurt to join! I love spending time with my mom and I figured that this would be a fun new experience for us. Plus, she said that I "need coordination". Ouch.
I walked in and quickly picked up on the fact that I was the youngest person in the room. The person closest to my age was my mother. I'm thinking "Okay this is fine! I'll probably be better than these older women and so I won't be making a fool of myself". Then one of them turned around and the back of her shirt said "Live. Love. Linedance". Then a few others turned around and theirs said the exact same thing!
Imagine my horror when I discovered that these women were hardcore. We started off with the Booty Call and the Cha Cha slide. Super easy! Then we did the Electric Slide. Again, super easy - but we did it to DISCO INFERNO. WHO DOES THE ELECTRIC SLIDE TO DISCO INFERNO?! And if by any chance you don't know which song I'm referring to - check it out:
Then, things take an even more awkward, awful, embarrassing, horrendous turn for the worst. They started this dance I had never seen before and were running all around the room like chickens with their heads cut off. I was in the middle of a mob of older ladies running around hopping and jumping and causing the world's biggest scene. I was running around trying to skip or do anything creative with my feet so it didn't look like I was just jogging.
During the short break, I informed my mom that I was getting the heck out of there because this was so uncomfortable and I was messing everyone up. She, of course, wanted me to stay so she had someone to look foolish with. As we were talking, the instructor said (over his microphone) "ARE YOU TWO TRYING TO LEAVE?!" To which my mom responded "SHE IS!"
KILL ME.
So I decided to stay and stick it out, and I'm pretty glad I did. After an awkward start, things got much better. He taught us a new dance and I actually caught on very quickly. He even asked me afterword if I had a background in dance. (It's okay. You can laugh. I laughed too) I'm guessing he was just being nice.
I love my mom to death but I'm pretty sure from now on I'll stick to the elliptical or a Zumba class.
But if anyone wants to hit a club with me I can show you how to do the Chicki Cha Cha ;)
We will get alllll the men with those hot moves.
Ps. Anyone know what the heck a Jazz square is and how in the world do you do one?!
Six years of jazz class finally come in handy! Basically, to do a jazz square, you'd step right foot over left, left foot back, right foot to the side, then left foot front, or vice verse depending on which direction you're going. The whole thing is to make a square pattern with your feet.
ReplyDeleteHere's a video in case you need to see it in action!
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mHoHqEdMY1Q
o my god this post cracked me up! I can see myself in this situation haha.
ReplyDeleteOhmygosh- that's soo crazy girl! Good for you for sticking it out though! PS. I LOVE zumba too! :)
ReplyDeleteHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!!!!
ReplyDelete"Are you two trying to leave?!!!"
DYING LAUGHING.