I'm writing this post today with a very heavy heart. Today marks the 5th anniversary of my dad's passing. He lost his life to cancer on Father's Day of 2006.
My dad was one of my best friends. We had so much in common and I could always count on him to completely understand me. He always made sure that I came first in his life. I cannot thank him enough for the knowledge that he has passed on, the sense of humor he gave me, the values that he instilled, the lifestyle that he gave me through hard work, and those amazing memories that I will never forget. He was the only person, to this day, that could ever beat me in a game of Trivial Pursuit, Scene It, or Boggle. When I was at home sick, I could always count on my dad to buy me a good lunch and watch cheesy TV shows with me. I used to skip Sunday shopping with my mom to eat nachos and watch football with my dad. I can't even explain what I would do to be able to relive those Sundays.
My dad was the best man that I've ever met in my life. I know that no one will ever come close to comparing to him. What upsets me more than anything is knowing that my future husband and children will never meet him. However, I'll make sure they all know about the amazing man that he was. .
While I wish I would have had more time with him, I thank God for the 16 years He gave me. I think of those who have never met their fathers or who have had abusive relationships with their dads, and I am so grateful for the time that I spent with him. Losing my dad taught me so much. I have a greater appreciation of my mom, and cherish every second I have with her. I have learned to live life to the fullest. I take every opportunity that comes my way because I never know if it will happen again. I have learned that the most important things in life aren't things.
I have a great step-dad who I admire, but my mom and I both know he'll never take the place of my dad. On Father's day go give your dads a big hug - you'll be glad you did one day.
Happy Father's Day daddy.
Wish I could spend it with you

This made me tear up. I couldn't imagine not having my Diddy around. You are a strong person and I admire that. I wish I was seeing my Diddy on Father's Day tomorrow but when I see him in a few weeks he'll definitely get a HUGE hug. But here's a big internet hug for you and for your dad!
ReplyDeleteThis post made me tear up so much. I really admire you for blogging about this. I can't believe how positive you are and thankful for the time you did have with him. I'll be certain to really let my Dad know how much I love him tomorrow. I'm sure your Dad will be look down on you tomorrow and would be so proud of you.
ReplyDeleteWhat a bittersweet post girl. I lost my dad when I was two years old to undiagnosed coronary artery disease- his heart just stopped beating in the middle of the night, so I can relate a little bit. You wrote such a sweet tribute to him, this is such a special post!
ReplyDelete