So I have totally forgot to link up for the weight loss challenge last week!! I feel awful about this because I lovee the idea and am so excited about it. I weighed myself and I've lost 2 pounds (hey, it's a start). Honestly I haven't really done anything special and I don't even know how I lost that! (water weight, maybe?)
I have to confess....I don't go to the grocery store. I think I've gone probably two times since I've moved into my apartment which was back in September. It's awful! I make occasional stops at the corner "Deli", which is totally not a deli but just a convenience store, to pick up a few things here and there. I just feel that whenever I go to the grocery store all of my food ends up going bad because I don't eat it quickly enough!
I usually grab a Slimfast for breakfast, never really eat any lunch (just snack on some things bought at said deli - HORRIBLE habit I need to break) and then stop home at my mom's casa for some dinner after I get off work. This is super convenient because I cannot cook to save my life. The sight of raw meat creeps me out and I cannot make anything unless directions are on a box. My future family is screwed! I hope my husband can cook or he can afford to hire us one ;)
I really think that my snacking habit is the biggest problem I have as to why the pounds don't come off a little easier. It's definitely a combination of that and the fact that pre-packaged foods always win over meals I have to make myself.
Helppppp how do I stop this? Do any of you have easy recipes that don't require too much talent? or effort? or expensive ingredients?
You can totally buy pre-cooked meat (like grilled chicken and stuff--near the lunchables at the grocery store), jarred sauce, and some pasta and throw that together! Or pasta bags are a life-saver if you are in a hurry- the Bertoli ones are delicious (my favorite is the Chicken Marsala and Potatoes). Other easy things are baked potatoes (stab it with a fork a few times and put it in the microwave for a 3-5 minutes), grilled cheese (especially if you have a george foreman grill), or stir fry (cut up veggies like broccoli, peppers, edamame, anything youd like--even frozen ones; add a little olive oil to the pan, put them in with some chopped up garlic, and stir until cooked!)
ReplyDeleteThere's also loads of cookbooks for beginners (you can even get them from your library, usually) like "How to Cook Everything: The Basics" or "The Starving Students Cookbook." There's also a gazillion cooking blogs-- Pioneer Woman Cooks sometimes has more complicated recipes, but she posts pictures of literally every step, which is nice; or the What's Cooking Chicago by Jolene is awesome and she posts a lot.
The trick is to just start small-- find one thing and make it until you feel comfortable and tackle another one. And don't be intimidated by recipes-- one of my favorite Southern mantras is that food doesn't have to be complicated or fancy to be delicious!